From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: how thorough is #emerge --sync?
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 19:02:08
1 On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 11:30:40AM -0700, Darren Kirby wrote:
2 > > > Well, I'm the upstream author, and _I_ think there should be different
3 > > > (ie: newer) version offered. Good enough?
4 > >
5 > > No, not good enough, as that doesn't matter at all. All that matters is,
6 > > what's in the tree. And the latest stable version is 0.8, no matter what
7 > > you think. The question remains: Why should a different version be offered?
8
9 > Sorry Alexander, I just don't get where you're going with this. Version 0.8
10 > was released September 27, 2004! There have been 4 major new releases since
11 > then, which include many bug fixes, and new and improved features. 0.8 is old
12 > and busted, 0.9.3 is the new hotness!
13
14 Guys,
15
16 Just to prevent the heat from escalating, may I offer my observation
17 that the two of you seems to be arguing about completely different
18 things?
19
20 Alexander (and I, likewise) probably misunderstood Darren's question
21 from the start: when he posted, I thought his expectation that "emerge
22 dir2ogg" should bring in a newer version than what was offered was a
23 lack of understanding of how the portage tree works (well, some of my
24 friends do actually think that the package management system [aptget,
25 rpm, portage, etc.] would actually be smart enough to automatically
26 go on the internet and find and install the latest version of a
27 program, so I wouldn't put any misconception past human capacity).
28
29 But it seems clear to me now that Darren is actually asking about
30 whether it is polite to give the devs a gentle nudge, asking them
31 to remove an old, buggy version of software from the portage tree
32 and add/stablize newer, updated versions (and how to go about doing
33 so if it is polite).
34
35 I am actually curious about the same thing: some of the packages that
36 I use are also a year or two out of date, for the most part I can
37 get around it by using overlays and third-party ebuilds, and I am
38 making an effort to learn how to write ebuilds, but it would be nice
39 to see those ebuilds committed to the official tree.
40
41 W
42 --
43 Willie W. Wong wwong@××××××××××××××.edu
44 408 Fine Hall, Department of Mathematics, Princeton University, Princeton
45 A mathematician's reputation rests on the number of bad proofs he has given.
46 --
47 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list