From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] complete switch from openssl to libressl on gentoo
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2020 17:43:04
1 On Friday, 17 April 2020 17:52:26 BST Dale wrote:
2 > Tamer Higazi wrote:
3 > > Dear everybody,
4 > >
5 > > I got my Gentoo system running compiled with openssl.
6 > > I'd like to rebuild my entire system based on libreSSL.
7 > >
8 > > What best practices do you advise ?
11 > > Thanks.
14 > > best, Tamer
15 >
16 > If all you're doing is changing a USE flag, emerge -Na world should do
17 > it. If you think it needed, emerge -DNa world. The -D, deep, may catch
18 > a few more packages but I've never tested it. If you want to go to the
19 > extreme, emerge -ea world will recompile everything, changed USE flag or
20 > not. It won't miss a thing. The first one should work in most cases.
21 > If you run into trouble, maybe add the -D.
22 >
23 > The -N is this from man emerge:
24 >
25 > --newuse, -N
26 > Tells emerge to include installed packages where USE flags have changed
27 > since compilation. This option also implies the --selective option.
28 > USE flag changes include:
29 >
30 > A USE flag was added to a package. A USE flag was removed from a
31 > package. A USE flag was turned on for a package. A USE flag was turned
32 > off for a package.
33 >
34 > Hope that helps.
35 >
36 > Dale
37 >
38 > :-) :-)
39
40 You should also check any portage config files for openssl USE flags and
41 remove them:
42
43 grep ssl -r /etc/portage/
44
45 should do it.
46
47 However, is there a good reason for opting for libressl instead of the
48 ubiquitous openssl?