From: ralf <mephist0666@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] simple mta for local delivery
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 22:17:58
1 kashani wrote:
2
3 > tiesman wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 10:03:39AM -0500, kashani wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> Mark Shields wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>>> qmail! I use it on my home server and I love it.
10 >>>
11 >>>
12 >>> Didn't he say something about a simple MTA? :-)
16 >> Exactly kashani. I do thank you Mark, for a quick answer. But can you
17 >> also give
18 >> me an example config file (or any clues, to get it up and running),
19 >> because it
20 >> is the whole intention to find a MTA suitable for a quick install (or
21 >> a complex
22 >> MTA, with some kind of noob 'config-mode').
23 >> Don't get me wrong, if there's no way of making this work easy,
24 >> I'll dig in a
25 >> mail sysadmin guide or so. But I think it would be useful to have a
26 >> simple MTA
27 >> available for Gentoo, wouldn't it?
30 > The problem is that doing local delivery properly does require some
31 > infrastructure. However a stripped down local server could probably
32 > drop most of the queuing that goes on in an MTA. The final package is
33 > still going to be complicated enough which is why a psuedo MTA isn't
34 > an interesting problem for anyone capable of writting a real mail
35 > server. Or at least that's my take on it.
36 >
37 > In any case this should get Postfix working within 15 minutes
38 > including compile
39 >
40 > emerge postfix
41 > You might need to unmerge ssmtp before you install postfix
42 > vi /etc/mail/aliases
43 > point to root to a local account
44 > newaliases
45 > makes your aliases active
46 > vi /etc/postfix/main.cf
47 > ctrl +g to get to the bottom, add these lines
48 > myhostname = hostname.yourdomain.com
49 > mydomain = yourdomain.com
50 > myorigin = $myhostname # or you can make it $mydomain
51 > inet_interfaces = all # or set to localhost if you don't want the
52 > server to be able to receive any email
53 > mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost, $mydomain
54 > # or some subset of these.
55 > mynetworks_style = subnet
56 > mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8 # and any other IP's you'd like to allow to
57 > relay though I don't think you need any
58 >
59 > /etc/init.d/postfix start
60 > postconf -n
61 > so you verify the right settings are what Postfix is using. If
62 > this is off look at the main.cf and delete any duplicates. IIRC
63 > Postfix uses the last config which is why we put all the configs at
64 > the end of the config file.
65 > rc-update add postfix default
66 >
67 > While not simple I think Postfix is one of the easier MTA's to get up
68 > and running quickly.
69 >
70 > kashani
71
72 searched for local mail howtos, too :)
73
74 great little howto, workds, thanks ! :)
79 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list