From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] simple mta for local delivery
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 20:20:25
1 tiesman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 10:03:39AM -0500, kashani wrote:
3 >
4 >>Mark Shields wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>qmail! I use it on my home server and I love it.
7 >>
8 >>Didn't he say something about a simple MTA? :-)
11 > Exactly kashani. I do thank you Mark, for a quick answer. But can you also give
12 > me an example config file (or any clues, to get it up and running), because it
13 > is the whole intention to find a MTA suitable for a quick install (or a complex
14 > MTA, with some kind of noob 'config-mode').
15 > Don't get me wrong, if there's no way of making this work easy, I'll dig in a
16 > mail sysadmin guide or so. But I think it would be useful to have a simple MTA
17 > available for Gentoo, wouldn't it?
20 The problem is that doing local delivery properly does require some
21 infrastructure. However a stripped down local server could probably drop
22 most of the queuing that goes on in an MTA. The final package is still
23 going to be complicated enough which is why a psuedo MTA isn't an
24 interesting problem for anyone capable of writting a real mail server.
25 Or at least that's my take on it.
26
27 In any case this should get Postfix working within 15 minutes including
28 compile
29
30 emerge postfix
31 You might need to unmerge ssmtp before you install postfix
32 vi /etc/mail/aliases
33 point to root to a local account
34 newaliases
35 makes your aliases active
36 vi /etc/postfix/main.cf
37 ctrl +g to get to the bottom, add these lines
38 myhostname = hostname.yourdomain.com
39 mydomain = yourdomain.com
40 myorigin = $myhostname # or you can make it $mydomain
41 inet_interfaces = all # or set to localhost if you don't want the server
42 to be able to receive any email
43 mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost, $mydomain #
44 or some subset of these.
45 mynetworks_style = subnet
46 mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8 # and any other IP's you'd like to allow to
47 relay though I don't think you need any
48
49 /etc/init.d/postfix start
50 postconf -n
51 so you verify the right settings are what Postfix is using. If this is
52 off look at the main.cf and delete any duplicates. IIRC Postfix uses the
53 last config which is why we put all the configs at the end of the config
54 file.
55 rc-update add postfix default
56
57 While not simple I think Postfix is one of the easier MTA's to get up
58 and running quickly.
59
60 kashani
61 --