From: Teresa and Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best Modem for Gentoo
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 19:37:51
1 John Jolet wrote:
4 >On 4/26/06 1:55 PM, "Teresa and Dale" <teendale@×××××××××××××.com> wrote:
8 >>I agree 100%. You do not want a winmodem and a internal hardware modem
9 >>can be hard to find and sometimes it is hard to get them to tell you if
10 >>it is a real modem or not. Get a external serial modem and it should
11 >>work out of the box. This is the same model I used to have, before
12 >>cable modem showed up, and it faxed and connected to the net real well.
13 >>
14 >>http://www.magnum-pc.com/ssproduct.asp?pf_id=10240816
15 >>
16 >>You can use that to search for one in your area or even one that may be
17 >>cheaper.
21 >I've always hated internal modems for one very good reason. You can't power
22 >it down without dropping the whole box. Kinda silly reason for a reboot.
28 That is true. I did have that modem lock up once in the several years I
29 used it. It was a lot better to just turn off the modem and then turn
30 it back on, especially since I had several months of uptime.
31
32 Also keep in mind, you have to completely turn off the system too. If
33 in windoze, start, turn off puter, select turn off not reboot, then let
34 the computer completely power off. Basically, you have to turn off the
35 power to the card. Sometimes it may reset with power applied but since
36 you're already rebooting, why waste more time trying it.
37
38 Dale
39
41 --