From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best Modem for Gentoo
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 19:14:33
1 On 4/26/06 1:55 PM, "Teresa and Dale" <teendale@×××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Harald Arnesen wrote:
4 >
5 >> "Michael Crute" <mcrute@×××××.com> writes:
9 >>> I am trying to setup a fax server using Gentoo, I tried using an Intel
10 >>> 536ep chipset card with little success. After looking around the
11 >>> general consensus seems to be go with US Robotics. Can anyone provide
12 >>> the model and manufacture of a fax modem that is known to work with
13 >>> both Gentoo any Hylafax? Right now I am running the most recent
14 >>> gentoo-sources but I am not opposed to going back to the older 2.4
15 >>> sources. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
16 >>>
17 >>>
18 >>
19 >> Almost any external modem should work.
23 > I agree 100%. You do not want a winmodem and a internal hardware modem
24 > can be hard to find and sometimes it is hard to get them to tell you if
25 > it is a real modem or not. Get a external serial modem and it should
26 > work out of the box. This is the same model I used to have, before
27 > cable modem showed up, and it faxed and connected to the net real well.
28 >
29 > http://www.magnum-pc.com/ssproduct.asp?pf_id=10240816
30 >
31 > You can use that to search for one in your area or even one that may be
32 > cheaper.
33
34 I've always hated internal modems for one very good reason. You can't power
35 it down without dropping the whole box. Kinda silly reason for a reboot.
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list