From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ARGH I uninstalled python
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 12:17:16
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Sunday 24 May 2009 11:28:30 Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Sun, 24 May 2009 11:07:13 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>> Portage is not in system, only the virtual. That can be
7 >>>> satisfied by Paludis, which does not need Python.
8 >>>>
9 >>> Lucky for you, I know your sense of humour by now :-)
10 >>>
11 >>> Doesn't help portage users though, and portage is still the default
12 >>> package manager on Gentoo. I don't see that changing any time soon, if
13 >>> ever.
14 >>>
15 >>> Besides, unless you do it manually, you need portage to install
16 >>> paludis, right? Without python, you don't get paludis.
17 >>>
18 >>> Either way, it's a bug. portage supports inheriting multiple parent
19 >>> profiles. One approach would be to add a new collection of profiles in
20 >>> addition to the existing base/, default/ and targets/ - called say
21 >>> pkgmgr.
22 >>>
23 >> Is it really a bug? Postage is the default for the virtual and it depends
24 >> on python, so there is no need for python itself to be in @system. This
25 >> doesn't cause any problems except the one Dale mentions, which is that
26 >> FEATURES=buildsyspkg does not build a package for python. man make.conf
27 >> describes this option as "Build binary packages for just packages in the
28 >> system set. Which is accurate but maybe not the desired behaviour. The
29 >> option should really by to build packages for packages in @system and
30 >> their dependencies. Put another way, build all the packages necessary to
31 >> run "emerge -eK @system".
32 >>
33 >> I'd suggest filing an enhancement request on b.g.o.
36 > Using the "this is very unexpected behaviour" definition of bug, I certainly
37 > do call it a bug. All three of the following commands, produce the same end
38 > result (a b0rked system), but are treated very differently. I my mind, delete
39 > warnings should be handled the same as installs, by taking the entire dep tree
40 > into account:
41 >
42 > alan@nazgul ~ $ sudo emerge -avC python
43 > Password:
46 >>>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:
47 >>>>
48 >
49 > dev-lang/python
50 > selected: 2.5.4-r2 2.6.2
51 > protected: none
52 > omitted: none
55 >>>> 'Selected' packages are slated for removal.
56 >>>> 'Protected' and 'omitted' packages will not be removed.
57 >>>>
58 >
59 > Would you like to unmerge these packages? [Yes/No] n
60 >
61 > Quitting.
62 >
63 > alan@nazgul ~ $ sudo emerge -avC portage
66 >>>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:
67 >>>>
68 > * Not unmerging package sys-apps/portage-2.2_rc33 since there is no valid
69 > * reason for portage to unmerge itself.
72 >>>> No packages selected for removal by unmerge
73 >>>>
74 > alan@nazgul ~ $ sudo emerge -avC gcc
77 >>>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:
78 >>>>
81 > !!! 'sys-devel/gcc' is part of your system profile.
82 > !!! Unmerging it may be damaging to your system.
85 > sys-devel/gcc
86 > selected: 4.3.3-r2
87 > protected: none
88 > omitted: none
91 >>>> 'Selected' packages are slated for removal.
92 >>>> 'Protected' and 'omitted' packages will not be removed.
93 >>>>
94 >
95 > Would you like to unmerge these packages? [Yes/No] n
96 >
97 > Quitting.
98 >
99 > I'll file a feature request
103 +1
104
105 All I know is this:
106
107 1: If I accidentally remove python, portage will not say a word as far
108 as warning me this is bad. This is what got the OP into this. If he
109 had this warning, he may not have done this. Prevention is the best way
110 but even that doesn't work.
111
112 2: Once #1 happens, your pretty much screwed because you don't even
113 have a binary backup even tho it is set in make.conf to have one. That
114 was the reason I put that setting in make.conf but someone chose to
115 screw with my setting and its meaning. I guess now buildpkg is my only
116 option. It's the only way to insure I can recover if I make a boo boo.
117
118 3: Portage is the package manager for Gentoo. As Alan said, it always
119 has been and most likely always will. I'm not against having other
120 package managers but if they are going to start messing up my settings,
121 then I plan to gripe at least a little. If they are not going to
122 support buildsyspkg then it needs to be announced and removed. False
123 security is worse than none at all.
124
125 My opinion on how this SHOULD work. If I do a emerge -e system, every
126 package it builds should have a binary saved for back up. It doesn't
127 matter if it is a dependency on something else or not, it should be
128 built and stored. That was the purpose of that.
129
130 Dale is going to go change this to buildpkg and run emerge -e system.
131 Let's see if that even works or not.
132
133 Thanks Alan.
134
135 Dale