From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ARGH I uninstalled python
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 14:26:35
1 On Sun, 24 May 2009 07:17:07 -0500, Dale wrote:
2
3 > 1: If I accidentally remove python, portage will not say a word as far
4 > as warning me this is bad. This is what got the OP into this.
5
6 Yes, and that's a recent change, presumably as part of the move to make
7 Gentoo and the portage tree work with any valid package manager.
8
9 > 2: Once #1 happens, your pretty much screwed because you don't even
10 > have a binary backup even tho it is set in make.conf to have one. That
11 > was the reason I put that setting in make.conf but someone chose to
12 > screw with my setting and its meaning.
13
14 Not exactly, buildsyspkg does the same as it always did, but @system has
15 changed. This cold have happened at any time as there was never a need
16 for python to be in @system,because it's a dependency of portage.
17
18 > 3: Portage is the package manager for Gentoo. As Alan said, it always
19 > has been and most likely always will. I'm not against having other
20 > package managers but if they are going to start messing up my settings,
21 > then I plan to gripe at least a little. If they are not going to
22 > support buildsyspkg then it needs to be announced and removed. False
23 > security is worse than none at all.
24
25 That's not the case. The problem is that buildsyspkg does exactly what it
26 says, which is not what you want. The definition of buildsyspkg should be
27 changed so that it build binary packages for all packages needed to
28 install @system, not just the packages named in 'system.
29
30 > My opinion on how this SHOULD work. If I do a emerge -e system, every
31 > package it builds should have a binary saved for back up. It doesn't
32 > matter if it is a dependency on something else or not, it should be
33 > built and stored.
34
35 Exactly, and a buildsyspkg user should file an enhancement bug requesting
36 this change in its behaviour.
37
38 > Dale is going to go change this to buildpkg and run emerge -e system.
39
40 That's not the way to deal with it. Address the problem,don't hide from
41 it :)
42
43 > Let's see if that even works or not.
44
45 It will, at the expense of more storage space. I've used buildpkg for
46 years.
50 Neil Bothwick
51
52 STATUS QUO is Latin for "the mess we're in."