From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ARGH I uninstalled python
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 16:23:34
1 On Sunday 24 May 2009 16:26:25 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > > 2: Once #1 happens, your pretty much screwed because you don't even
3 > > have a binary backup even tho it is set in make.conf to have one. That
4 > > was the reason I put that setting in make.conf but someone chose to
5 > > screw with my setting and its meaning.
6 >
7 > Not exactly, buildsyspkg does the same as it always did, but @system has
8 > changed. This cold have happened at any time as there was never a need
9 > for python to be in @system,because it's a dependency of portage.
10
11 That may well be the way it IS, but it certainly is not the way it SHOULD BE.
12 The only sane way to do this is:
13
14 if (pkgmgr=portage)
15 python in @system
16 else
17 python !in system
18 end
19
20 Any other rendition is just insanely crazy and whilst it may be per spec, is
21 more like the way Windows works than the way Gentoo works.... Plus it violates
22 the principle of no unexpected side-effects.
23
24 Conditionals includes into system should have been in place before this change
25 was made.
29 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com