From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo box "hangs"
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 22:30:26
1 On Wednesday 04 October 2006 21:01, Dmitry S. Makovey wrote:
2
3 > To eliminate KDE problem I tried to run fluxbox with Firefox &&
4 > xterm - same results - hard freeze.
5 >
6 > Did anybody see something similar or at least some educated guesses
7 > are welcome.
8
9 Last time I experienced something like this was on a desktop which had
10 incompatible memory modules fitted. Trial and error resulted in me removing
11 all but one module and the crashes miraculously stopped! Knoppix alone would
12 not cause any crashes whatsoever, but as soon as updatedb and an emerge were
13 to take place simultaneously, the system would crash. In particular, it
14 would usually crash when the memory of the modules was about to be exhausted
15 and the system was going to start writing on the swap partition. It wouldn't
16 happen every single time, but towards the end it was happening every time I
17 booted the darn thing up.
18
19 I hope this helps.
20 --