From: "Dmitry S. Makovey" <dmitry@××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo box "hangs"
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 21:29:57
1 On Wednesday 04 October 2006 18:24, Mick wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 04 October 2006 21:01, Dmitry S. Makovey wrote:
3 > > To eliminate KDE problem I tried to run fluxbox with Firefox &&
4 > > xterm - same results - hard freeze.
5 > >
6 > > Did anybody see something similar or at least some educated
7 > > guesses are welcome.
8 >
9 > Last time I experienced something like this was on a desktop which
10 > had incompatible memory modules fitted. Trial and error resulted
11 > in me removing all but one module and the crashes miraculously
12 > stopped! Knoppix alone would not cause any crashes whatsoever, but
13 > as soon as updatedb and an emerge were to take place
14 > simultaneously, the system would crash. In particular, it would
15 > usually crash when the memory of the modules was about to be
16 > exhausted and the system was going to start writing on the swap
17 > partition. It wouldn't happen every single time, but towards the
18 > end it was happening every time I booted the darn thing up.
19
20 thanks for sharing. One question I have - did you run memtest86 or
21 something similar at the time? The reason I'm asking - I ran
22 memtest86 on this machine and it showed nothing. I'm not entirely
23 sure how much I can trust memtest.
24 --
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list