From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo box "hangs"
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 07:54:37
1 On Thursday 05 October 2006 20:22, Dmitry S. Makovey wrote:
2
3 > thanks for sharing. One question I have - did you run memtest86 or
4 > something similar at the time? The reason I'm asking - I ran
5 > memtest86 on this machine and it showed nothing. I'm not entirely
6 > sure how much I can trust memtest.
7
8 I've run memtest86+ a number of times and no errors were shown. There's a
10 foolproof test for your *system* as opposed to a memory module. Try to
11 search around and look in Google too, in case you find it. There's
12 alternative tests to memtest involving running some script (if I remember
13 right). As I said, whichever test you run you need to make sure that it
14 exercises your whole memory system (modules, controllers, swap).
15
16 Good luck. :)
17
18 PS. My box would also crash in M$Windoze if the page file was being used
19 (e.g. manipulating large sections of text or pictures), but not at the
20 frequency of it crashing under Gentoo with a heavy emerge and updatedb taking
21 place.
22 --
23 Regards,
24 Mick