From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How does Portage prioritze emerges in emerge world?
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 17:56:35
1 Zac Medico schreef:
2 > Holly Bostick wrote:
5 >> This sounds great, but what about the kernel I'm booted into,
6 >> against which the module will *not* be compiled, if I have to
7 >> reboot before actually configuring/compiling/installing the new
8 >> kernel?
11 > You can get pretty close to your desired behavior (merge kernel last)
12 > if you simple mask kernel package versions greater than the one that
13 > is currently installed.
14 >
15 > mkdir -p /etc/portage echo ">sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.14-r2" >>
16 > /etc/portage/package.mask
17 >
18 > That way, portage will not attempt to upgrade it until you tell it
19 > that you are ready, by removing the mask. And yeah, if USE=symlink
20 > causes problems, don't use it (in my suggested scenario above it
21 > might be useful though).
22
23 So the ultimate conclusion is that I can either
24
25 1) disable the symlink USE flag and manage the redirect manually, which
26 would enable me to download any kernel at any time without concern for
27 whether a kernel module was upgrading in the same operation; or
28
29 2) manually mask kernels, which would enable me to upgrade any kernel
30 modules at any time but force me to manually oversee the availability of
31 kernel upgrades and manually enable them (and re-disable them following
32 said upgrade).
33
34 I guess I'll go for option 1, but the long and the short of it is that
35 complete automation is unavailable and my only choice is what I prefer
36 to manage manually.
37
38 OK, then. <sigh> Thanks.
39