From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: setting boot flag on sda1
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 22:07:14
1 Joseph <syscon780 <at> gmail.com> writes:
5 > Hi James,
6 >
7 > I don't want to cause any problems :-/ I'm just trying to boot this piece
8 > of crap of mine so I can proceed with installation.
9 > But I'm out of luck. It could be due to my old BIOS not recognizing
10 > correctly GPT.
11 >
12 > I think my only options would be to scrap that GPT and go with MBR,
13 > as Alex suggested.
14
15 Yep, good choice. Many old bios are, well a challenge. Sometimes
16 vendors have differnt bios and bios versions on the same/similar family
17 of motherboards. Maybe you can find a bios upgrade for your
18 old mobo? Sometimes that helps, but you may have to go through
19 windows and a floppy, or some other archane mechanism to upgrade
20 the bios. Googling for options on your specific mobo, may be worth
21 the time?
22
23 Here is one example for an "Asus" modbo:
24 http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/321172-30-bios-update-motherboard
25
26 Your call on that. It may not help your problem with GPT so you have
27 to research that or go with a MBR setup.
30 > I try to reboot and still no luck; so I'm getting into conclusion
31 > that scraping the I have to scrap that GPT.
32 > I was trying to avoid as it take some time to do it from scratch ;-(
33
34 Gentoo is wonderful as a distro; but often one pursues things that
35 enlighten the brain, but conclude in futility. All the power of the
36 Gentoo distro and the devs and user community cannot prevent that,
37 IMHO.....
38
39 good hunting!
40