From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] switch to profile 17.0 complete, completely painless
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2017 19:34:26
1 On 12/06/17 08:41, Mick wrote:
2 > On Wednesday, 6 December 2017 15:36:19 GMT Daniel Frey wrote:
3 >> On 12/05/17 23:00, Raffaele Belardi wrote:
4 >>> One (~x86) LXDE system completed the switch with no problem, the other
5 >>> (~amd64) built all except two packaged (sdlmame and torcs) which did not
6 >>> build with gcc-7.2 even before the switch to 17.0.
7 >>>
8 >>> Gentoo devs and arch testers did a good job as usual.
9 >>>
10 >>> I'll do the switch on the Gnome system in the next days but up to now I
11 >>> can say that the switch to 17.0 is a _lot_ less painful than switching
12 >>> major compiler version.
13 >>>
14 >>> raffaele
15 >>
16 >> I've done two machines now (6 more to go!) and it's been mostly
17 >> painless. I had the grub and cdrdao rebuild problems, solved by
18 >> upgrading to grub2 and applying a patch to lame for cdrdao. I also had
19 >> pygtk fail, but once the `emerge -e world` finished, I just had to
20 >> rebuild it and it was fine.
23 >> Dan
24 >
25 > Are the maintainers picking up these patches to release a version bump for
26 > packages that won't emerge with profile 17.0?
29 Well, I got the patch from the cdrdao bugreport. Someone sent the patch
30 for lame upstream, and of course they said you should be patching
31 cdrdao... so who knows.
32
33 Dan