From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Is sys-firmware/intel-microcode-20180108 complete?
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 19:49:33
1 On 10/01/18 20:12, Mick wrote:
2 > On Wednesday, 10 January 2018 17:06:46 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 >> On Wednesday, 10 January 2018 15:47:25 GMT Wolfgang Mueller wrote:
4 >>>> It looks as though my CPU hasn't been fixed yet. Is that right?
5 >>>
6 >>> It seems that patches are being pushed out as they are being received,
7 >>> so back when that one was released, no other updates were available.
8 >>>
9 >>> See https://bugs.gentoo.org/643430#c10
10 >>>
11 >>> We should get the full range of updates in the next few days.
12 >>
13 >> Right. Patience is a virtue, they say.
14 >
15 > So what are we to do with our old PCs, which will no longer receive Intel's
16 > microcode blessing? Are we to throw them away in a landfill and of course
17 > take our custom elsewhere, or will the kernel patches suffice for both bugs
18 > and all variants?
19
20 The spectre bug needs a microcode update. It can't be closed by software.
21
22 Intel has a page somewhere for people asking "why do I do with my old
23 PC", and they tell you to kindly fuck off (not in those words exactly,
24 but it's what they mean) and direct you to their latest CPUs and places
25 where you can buy them. And of course you'll also need to buy new
26 mainboards and new RAM.
27
28 Millions and millions of computers are out there running Sandy Bridge
29 and Ivy Bridge CPUs, since they're almost as fast as the latest CPUs.
30 People use them as their main machines, or as secondary machines.
31 They're all over the place. And they're all going to be vulnerable from
32 here on out.
33
34 Strangely, nobody in the press called Intel out on it. Everybody acts as
35 if this perfectly acceptable.