From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo Live 11.0
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 18:43:11
1 On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 10:59 AM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 >
4 > it would seem that the 32ul-11.0.iso
5 > version would be the one to run 32
6 > bit software on?
7 <SNIP>
8
9 I cannot speak for the LiveDVD as I've not tried it but remember there
10 are still lots of older machines running 32-processors in them that
11 need a 32-bit only DVD to install at all. I suspect the purpose of the
12 32-bit DVD is to support those boxes.
13
14 As evidence of the growth of 64-bit machines in at least the vocal
15 part of the Gentoo users (those using the user's lists) I started
16 running 64-bit Gentoo about 5-6 years and at this time no longer even
17 own any (working) 32-bit machines. Up until about 3 years ago the
18 Gentoo amd64 list had all the 64-bit specific question traffic. As of
19 today that list is almost totally quiet implying that nearly all
20 64-bit users are just using this list and most folks see no
21 distinction anymore. If that's true then it's easy to forget that
22 there may be lots of quiet 32-bit users still out there.
23
24 - Mark