From: Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo Live 11.0
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 20:38:31
1 On 03/17/2011 11:41 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 10:59 AM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > <SNIP>
4 >>
5 >> it would seem that the 32ul-11.0.iso
6 >> version would be the one to run 32
7 >> bit software on?
8 > <SNIP>
9 >
10 > I cannot speak for the LiveDVD as I've not tried it but remember there
11 > are still lots of older machines running 32-processors in them that
12 > need a 32-bit only DVD to install at all. I suspect the purpose of the
13 > 32-bit DVD is to support those boxes.
14 >
15 > As evidence of the growth of 64-bit machines in at least the vocal
16 > part of the Gentoo users (those using the user's lists) I started
17 > running 64-bit Gentoo about 5-6 years and at this time no longer even
18 > own any (working) 32-bit machines. Up until about 3 years ago the
19 > Gentoo amd64 list had all the 64-bit specific question traffic. As of
20 > today that list is almost totally quiet implying that nearly all
21 > 64-bit users are just using this list and most folks see no
22 > distinction anymore. If that's true then it's easy to forget that
23 > there may be lots of quiet 32-bit users still out there.
24
25 I'll second your comments, Mark. I now have only my trusty Dell 600SC
26 still running 32-bit but that's only because that's all it can do. Had
27 it a 64-bit CPU I would be completely devoid of the 32-bit platform on
28 any of my personal machines. I have to remember, now, when I am working
29 on that machine, that *it* is now the one-off machine, not the other way
30 around like it had been three years ago.
31
32 All in all, I'd have to say that the move from 32 to 64 has gone rather
33 painlessly on Gentoo, so, hat's off to the folks on this list and all
34 the Gentoo devs.