From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cloning movie DVDs with dd - only works after accessing disk with another command?
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 07:48:04
1 On 11 Aug 2009, at 08:33, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 05:43:17 +0100, Stroller wrote:
3 >
4 >> I'm guessing it has something to do with DeCSS encryption, but
5 >> firstly
6 >> I don't understand how that applies to dd, because I'd have assumed
7 >> that treats the drive as a block device.
8 >
9 > Probably because the CSS stuff is stored in a separate area of the
10 > drive,
11 > which is not copied by dd.
12
13 I think I may not have phrased the question clearly. Initially dd
14 doesn't work, then it magically starts working. See the cloning.txt
15 attached to my second post.
16
17 Stroller.