From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cloning movie DVDs with dd - only works after accessing disk with another command?
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 07:33:56
1 On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 05:43:17 +0100, Stroller wrote:
2
3 > I'm guessing it has something to do with DeCSS encryption, but firstly
4 > I don't understand how that applies to dd, because I'd have assumed
5 > that treats the drive as a block device.
6
7 Probably because the CSS stuff is stored in a separate area of the drive,
8 which is not copied by dd. If you use vobcopy with the mirror option, it
9 creates a decrypted copy of the DVD's contents.
13 Neil Bothwick
14
15 Stupidity is NOT a handicap. You'll have to park elsewhere.