From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel panick in 4.2.1 from gentoo-sources
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2015 23:14:09
1 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 4:13 PM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > > Hi. I am getting some kind of kernel panick in 4.2.1 -- it boots up OK,
5 > > ...
6 > > how
7 > > do I get any information about what happened -- serial console or other
8 > > means? Can I do a console over the network without additional hardware?
9 >
10 > That is pretty simple actually.
11 >
12 > Set CONFIG_NETCONSOLE=y/m in your kernel config if it is not already set.
13 > add to your kernel command line:
14 > netconsole=6666@192.168.0.10/eth0,6666@192.168.0.5/1c:6f:65:ab:07:b2
15 >
16 > (The first set of values is port@src-ip/interface. The second set of
17 > values is port@dest-ip/MAC. This is low-level code in the kernel so
18 > it is just sending raw UDP packets - the routine sending them has no
19 > idea what your interface IP is, and it can't use ARP.)
20 >
21 > On the destination machine, run "nc -u -l -p 6666"
22 >
23 > That will listen for console output and dump it to stdout. You'll get
24 > everything that goes to dmesg on the remote machine, including
25 > BUG/PANIC/etc output. It works fine even if the disks stop syncing.
28 > > The reason I went with that kernel is because I want to try btrfs and
29 > > they develop fast, so it looked from Google searching that I should be
30 > > on 4.2 or thereabouts. The btrfs programs I emerged did say 4.2.
33 > If you're having btrfs issues on such a recent kernel you should
34 > probably at least run all the backports that are available for it.
35 >
36 > There are undoubtedly many btrfs issues in 4.2.1 that have been fixed
37 > in 4.2.3, so you should probably be running this version if you want
38 > to stick with 4.2.
39 >
40 > Personally, I've been sticking with 3.18 until 4.1 quiets down. There
41 > are usually regressions in any new kernel version with btrfs.
42 >
43 > > So, I would like to go on two paths at once -- find out about the
44 > > panick, and maybe go to a lower kernel as well, but I was concerned
45 > > about btrfs if I do that. I have not created the pool yet.
46 >
47 > Generally speaking the btrfs on-disk format is stable, so for the most
48 > part you can switch back and forth between versions without issue. If
49 > you want to go to a really old kernel series like maybe 3.12 there
50 > might be a few optional btrfs features that won't work, but in general
51 > I'd stick with something newer.
52 >
53 > So, if you want to be bleeding-edge then stick with the bleeding edge
54 > and run the latest stable. If you want something longterm I'd stick
55 > with the 1st-2nd most recent longterm. 4.1 is still pretty new, but
56 > I'm close to switching over to it.
57 >
58 > You'd need to post the details of the panic to know more - the btrfs
59 > list is probably the best place. But again I'd confirm the panic on
60 > the latest release in the series you're running so as to not waste
61 > time on issues that may already be fixed.
64 Thanks much -- 4.2.1 wqas what I just got using gentoo-sources, I will
65 sync and try again, maybe go to 4.1 and see what happens. I heard 3.19
66 was the first version where btrfs actually worked, and I have 3.18 here,
67 this is why I was trying the newer kernel. So, what is the latest lts
68 kernel these days anyway?
69
70 Thanks again.
73 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
74 How do
75 you spend it?
76
77 John Covici