From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox and kernel panics.
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 19:02:59
1 On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Peter Humphrey
2 <peter@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > On Thursday 14 July 2011 16:39:03 Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >
5 >> I think it would be helpful at this point to see emerge --info and the
6 >> sort of stuff I outlined earlier. What else can we do?
7 >>
8 >> There still exists the possibility of a bad piece of hardware. A
9 >> defective GPU, thermal issues on a motherboard in a system built at
10 >> home, etc.
11 >>
12 >> I also think that a network debug console of some time might be
13 >> instructive if Dale is up to getting it operating.
14 >
15 > I think it would be a good idea to start a new thread, Dale. It's long since
16 > the tree disappeared off the right side of the kmail window.
17 >
18 > --
19 > Rgds
20 > Peter
23 I tend to agree.Time to start over, from the beginning, which new
24 clean data. Machine hardware, full Gentoo configuration, xorg.conf
25 files, etc., along with the problem statement, so that we can get a
26 clean view of what's what. (As if we don't know...) ;-)
27
28 A side note... A friend just built his first new Gentoo machine based
29 on the Sandy Bridge processor. To get it to work it turned out we had
30 to choose specific CFLAGS due to problems with gcc on that processor.
31 Dale's problems might be of that nature - new hardware and very slight
32 incompatibilities causing fairly major problems...
33
34 Cheers,
35 Mark