From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can anyone tell me?
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 19:03:51
1 On Sunday 02 March 2008, Chris Walters wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On Sunday 02 March 2008, Dan Farrell wrote:
4 > >> doesn't sound like a broken package to me. perhaps something else
5 > >> got borked?
6 > >
7 > > Or maybe some "unusual" compiler settings?
8 > >
9 > > OP, please post your /etc/make.conf
10 >
11 > I don't think it is the compiler settings - they are fairly standard
12 > "-O3 -march=athlon64 -pipe" That's it. I've never had any problems
13 > with -O3, but it could still be a part of the problem, since it
14 > substantially changes the code at compile time.
15
16 I don't -O3 can ever be considered "standard". Also you say you don't
17 think that's it, then admit -O3 changes the code substantially. I'm
18 having horrible visions that you are taking a shotgun approach to
19 fault-finding
20
21 > The problem has to do the the Service Dependencies not being able to
22 > be scanned, and I am advised to run /sbin/depscan.sh
23 >
24 > When I run that, I just get the same error - which also involves a
25 > missing /bin/mktemp file. It seems that that package blocks that
26 > latest version of coreutils...
27
28 What you wrote doesn't make sense. depscan.sh is installed by baselayout
29 and mktemp is installed by coreutils. You have depscan.sh Which package
30 is blocking which? You don't have to guess which one, portage will tell
31 you when an emerge fails.
32
33 You really should supply more information so that we can help you. You
34 have now posted 4 times on this thread, and have not supplied any
35 relevant info at all apart from your arch is ~amd64 and you have a
36 problem. So let's do this the right way which involves you supplying
37 the following:
38
39 - when your system "broke twice", what exactly does this mean? What no
40 longer works, and how does the system's behaviour differ from what you
41 expect?
42 - relevant logs
43 - command(s) run before the problem manifests
44 - console output that demonstrates a problem
48 Alan McKinnon
49 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
52 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list