From: waltdnes@××××××××.org
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Change from udev to eudev?
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 00:48:02
1 On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 12:06:18AM +0200, wabe wrote
2 > Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de> wrote:
3 >
4 > > On Wednesday 08 June 2016 02:43:07 wabe wrote:
5 > > [...]
6 > > >But I wonder why portage wanna change udev to eudev on my system. It
7 > > >seems that this is not the case for everyone else. I'm using a stable
8 > > >hardened gentoo system and did not change USE flags or other
9 > > >settings. Just started my regular update process.
10 > > [...]
11 > >
12 > > My suspicion is that libgudev is in @world (or in a set your created
13 > > yourself). Perhaps try "emerge --deselect libgudev"; if it works, the
14 > > hard blocker should become a soft blocker ("b" instead of "B"), which
15 > > portage can resolve by itself.
16 >
17 > It isn't listed in /var/lib/portage/world. But it's a dependency of
18 > about a dozen of packages on my system.
19 >
20 > At the moment I don't have enough time to search for the reason why
21 > portage wants to install eudev. So I simply unmerged udev and
22 > installed eudev.
23
24 See https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/bbd5a2a5775eebbb7e62161125c66135
25 at the end of a long thread on gentoo-dev...
26
27 > The council has approved the following decision 7-0:
28 >
29 > "In light of the support for eudev among Gentoo non-systemd users,
30 > and a lack of strong technical drivers to block a change, the Council
31 > approves changing the default virtual/udev provider for non-systemd
32 > users to eudev. The council encourages all maintainers to try to
33 > support either provider and cooperate with those who provide patches
34 > when necessary."
35 >
36 > I'd recommend that the eudev team implement the change and communicate
37 > vs just having a stampede for the virtual...
38
39 If you are not running systemd, then eudev is the preferred udev
40 implementation. Binary distros can build systemd, extract udev on a
41 developer's machine and package it like a library. Gentoo, being
42 source-based, has to do some hackish workarounds, installing, and then
43 removing, much of systemd on the user's machine with every update to
44 udev. Lennart Poettering has made no secret that he's chomping at the
45 bit to get rid of standalone udev. Even more ominous is the following
46
47 https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2015-May/032147.html
48
49 > * A new (currently still internal) API sd-device.h has been
50 > added to libsystemd. This modernized API is supposed to
51 > replace libudev eventually. In fact, already much of libudev
52 > is now just a wrapper around sd-device.h.
55 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
56 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications