From: Martins Steinbergs <mar@××.lv>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mime type experts / *.pps
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 18:52:00
1 On Monday 20 February 2006 19:20, Uwe Thiem wrote:
2 > Hi folks,
3 >
4 > this is about Powerpoint Presentations and Gentoo and (almost) any other
5 > linux distribution. There are two different types of presentations: *.ppt
6 > and *.pps. The difference is that *.pps have an interpreter linked into the
7 > document so you can run it under Windows without having Powerpoint.
8 >
9 > *.ppt do not cause any problems but *.pps do. If you do a "file
10 > something.pps" it reports it as "Microsoft Office Document" without
11 > qualifying what kind of document.
12 >
13 > As long as you have set all your file associations of Microsoft documents
14 > to OpenOffice, it will work for you because OO still is a monolithic
15 > application that handles all of them.
16 >
17 > This is not true if you have set file associations of Microsoft documents
18 > to specific applications in any other office suite, including but not
19 > limited to koffice. In the case of koffice, kword gets started, It starts
20 > to load the presentation and decides correctly that this isn't a word
21 > document.
22 >
23 > So my question is: Aren't there any mime type and/or magic file experts
24 > here that can extent the magic file to recognise *.pps files correctly?
25 >
26 > Would be great if we could get that sorted out.
27 >
28 > I tried myself. Unfortunately, I am not a magic file expert and failed
29 > badly. :-(
30 >
31 > Uwe
32 >
33 > --
34 > Why do consumers keep buying products they will live to curse?
35
36 most simple solution i can give is to rename file.pps to file.ppt
37
38 for my understanding pps does only that that opening it starts slide show not
39 the editor and powerpoint installation still has to be present
40
41 martins
42 --
43 Linux 2.6.15-ck3-r1 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
44 20:27:21 up 15:55, 7 users, load average: 1.74, 1.71, 1.63
45 --
46 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list