From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] mime type experts / *.pps
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 17:31:58
1 Hi folks,
2
3 this is about Powerpoint Presentations and Gentoo and (almost) any other linux
4 distribution. There are two different types of presentations: *.ppt and
5 *.pps. The difference is that *.pps have an interpreter linked into the
6 document so you can run it under Windows without having Powerpoint.
7
8 *.ppt do not cause any problems but *.pps do. If you do a "file something.pps"
9 it reports it as "Microsoft Office Document" without qualifying what kind of
10 document.
11
12 As long as you have set all your file associations of Microsoft documents to
13 OpenOffice, it will work for you because OO still is a monolithic application
14 that handles all of them.
15
16 This is not true if you have set file associations of Microsoft documents to
17 specific applications in any other office suite, including but not limited to
18 koffice. In the case of koffice, kword gets started, It starts to load the
19 presentation and decides correctly that this isn't a word document.
20
21 So my question is: Aren't there any mime type and/or magic file experts here
22 that can extent the magic file to recognise *.pps files correctly?
23
24 Would be great if we could get that sorted out.
25
26 I tried myself. Unfortunately, I am not a magic file expert and failed
27 badly. :-(
28
29 Uwe
32 Why do consumers keep buying products they will live to curse?
33 --
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list