From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mime type experts / *.pps
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 18:20:51
1 The 'file' command and mime types are different things.
2
3 On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 07:20:07PM +0200, Penguin Lover Uwe Thiem squawked:
4 > this is about Powerpoint Presentations and Gentoo and (almost) any other linux
5 > *.ppt do not cause any problems but *.pps do. If you do a "file something.pps"
6 > it reports it as "Microsoft Office Document" without qualifying what kind of
7 > document.
8
9 If you do a 'file something.ppt', I am fairly certain it will also say
10 Microsoft Office Document. While grepping for 'Excel' and 'Word' both
11 turn up some stuff in /usr/share/misc/file/magic, there isn't anything
12 that corresponds to 'Power' except for PowerPC related stuff.
13
14 In fact, I am pretty sure that documents from newer versions of
15 Microsoft Office would all return that string when file is ran against
16 them.
17
18 > This is not true if you have set file associations of Microsoft documents to
19 > specific applications in any other office suite, including but not limited to
20 > koffice. In the case of koffice, kword gets started, It starts to load the
21 > presentation and decides correctly that this isn't a word document.
22
23 The question is how you are recognizing the files? From what you are
24 saying, it sounds to me like you are double-clicking in some KDE file
25 browser and letting KDE do the job of deciding which application to
26 call. Since I know naught about KDE, I can't help there.
27
28 > So my question is: Aren't there any mime type and/or magic file experts here
29 > that can extent the magic file to recognise *.pps files correctly?
30
31 However, one thing that came to mind is for you to check the
32 mime.types file in /etc/mime.types and make sure
33
34 [01:01 PM]wwong ~ $ grep pps /etc/mime.types
35 application/vnd.ms-powerpoint ppt pps
36
37 pps files are indeed associated as powerpoint.
38
39 HTH
40
41 W
42 --
43 "This class makes me feel like Ralph Wiggam..."
44 ~DeathMech, Some Student. P-town PHY 205
45 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 100 days, 10:19
46 --
47 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list