From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anybody tried shake defragmenter?
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 02:29:13
1 Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> [09-08-03 23:09]:
2 > On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 3:22 PM, Grant<emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > I know Linux systems aren't supposed to become fragmented, but I've
4 > > also read that it can happen eventually. I'm on ext3. I've read that
5 > > ext4 will have a defragmenter but that it doesn't have one yet.
6 >
7 > It's not that they aren't supposed to become fragmented, it is that
8 > they try to avoid it. There is a big difference, and things like
9 > streaming writes (downloads, bittorrents, etc) can cause extreme
10 > fragmentation.
11 >
12 > The time-honored way of fixing this is "backup, delete, restore". In
13 > my case my simple defragmenter is to move a file to tmpfs and then
14 > move it back to the hard drive. I always do this to files I'm about to
15 > burn to a CD/DVD to ensure the read speed is optimal.
16 >
17 > > Has anyone tried the shake defragmenter?
18 >
19 > Yes, nothing has blown up yet. :)
20
21 Hi,
22
23 I have several encfs-encrypted partions. As fas as I had understood
24 encfs, only the contents of the data file and not their
25 organisational data are encrypted (?).
26 But I may be wrong...
27
28 So, do I any harm to shake those partions without mounting them in
29 beforehand?
30
31 Kind regards,
32 Meino Cramer
33
34 PS: How can I make a mount -o remount,user_xattr work?
35 Do I have to re-mkfs the partions (please not..) ?
40 Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
41 unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
42 See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
43 In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.