From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anybody tried shake defragmenter?
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 21:05:35
1 On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 3:22 PM, Grant<emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I know Linux systems aren't supposed to become fragmented, but I've
3 > also read that it can happen eventually. I'm on ext3. I've read that
4 > ext4 will have a defragmenter but that it doesn't have one yet.
5
6 It's not that they aren't supposed to become fragmented, it is that
7 they try to avoid it. There is a big difference, and things like
8 streaming writes (downloads, bittorrents, etc) can cause extreme
9 fragmentation.
10
11 The time-honored way of fixing this is "backup, delete, restore". In
12 my case my simple defragmenter is to move a file to tmpfs and then
13 move it back to the hard drive. I always do this to files I'm about to
14 burn to a CD/DVD to ensure the read speed is optimal.
15
16 > Has anyone tried the shake defragmenter?
17
18 Yes, nothing has blown up yet. :)