From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Good file system that recovers from a power failure.
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2011 01:31:15
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 12:12 PM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> I'm planning to build a rig like mine for my brother before to long. I know
7 >> there are lots of opinions on the net but want some personal experience
8 >> information on this. My brother does not have a UPS. I may can talk him
9 >> into getting one but not sure. What is a good file system that recovers
10 >> well from a improper shutdown? I use ext2, ext3 and reiserfs here but never
11 >> had a power problem, except when hal broke my stuff. I know XFS is not good
12 >> for this already from my own personal experience.
13 >>
14 >> Does anyone here have any personal experience on this? Just a 'I use this
15 >> and had a power failure and it powered up fine with no data loss' would be
16 >> nice. If this happened a lot and still worked, that would be even better.
17 >>
18 >> I'm not looking to start a turf war. This will be a plain old desktop so it
19 >> doesn't need a fancy file system, just one that recovers from a power
20 >> failure.
21 >>
22 >> Thanks.
23 >>
24 >> Dale
25 >>
26 >> :-) :-)
30 > Nothing much to say that others haven't said. I'm trying ext4 for the
31 > first time starting today.
32 >
33 > I ran across this page yesterday that might be of interest. I don't
34 > see anything specific to your question but maybe you will.
35 >
36 > Cheers,
37 > Mark
38 >
39 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_system_comparison
43 That is a interesting link. It lead me to several other places too.
44 There seems to be quite a controversy over reiserfs4 not being in the
45 kernel already. lol
46
47 Thanks.
48