From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Email clients - what can replace Evolution?
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 17:54:29
1 On 2/28/07, Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2007-02-28 at 14:23 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 > > As I said in a response a few minutes ago the emerge -e world,
5 > > although not completely done, appears to have fixed it. Evolution is
6 > > now running fine.
7 > >
8 > > I will wait for the emerge -e world to finish up tonight and ensure
9 > > it's still working.
10 > >
11 > > We may never know exactly what caused the problem I suspect.
12 >
13 > if you want to know what broke it, then you should take the time to
14 > compile in some debugging symbols (just in evolution and associated
15 > libs, not the entire world!) This would have been quicker than
16 > rebuilding absolutely everything!
17 >
18 > You obviously have time, as you just did an emerge -e world ;)
19 > Unfortunately I don't think you'll be better off blindly fixing it -
20 > what if it happens again? What if a similar thing happens to a
21 > different package? Just switching mail-clients wont help - any package
22 > is potentially open to crashing. Take the time now to find out why, and
23 > save yourself time in the future, IMHO :)
24 >
25 > but glad it's working again.
26 >
27 > cya,
28 > --
29 > Iain Buchanan <iaindb at netspace dot net dot au>
32 Iain,
33 In principle I agree with you but specifics dictated the outcome this time.
34
35 1) I really didn't understand how to get the debugging stuff in there
36 and actually working. Learning would have taken time.
37
38 2) My dad, an almost 79 year old Gentoo user, was traveling and
39 returning home today. I Wanted him to have email.
40
41 3) Yes, emerge -e world takes time but requires very little attention
42 so I am free to try to earn a living. I had only one digest mismatch
43 in the rebuild. Other than that one stoppage the process went
44 uninterrupted while I got other things done.
45
46 I'm thinking that what I do need to do is learn to get debugging
47 info but I can experiment with that on my machine instead of his. I
48 worry that something basic will go wrong and because the machine is
49 300 miles away it would have to get shipped to me. If I work with my
50 own machines first I'll have a better idea what's safe and what works.
51
52 Now what I need to do is spend a little time learning more about
53 debugging symbols and the tools required to make sense of them. Keep
54 in mind that I am a user, not an IT guy, not a developer, not even a
55 CS major. I only need to know enough to provide information to helpful
56 folks who need it. I'll go work on that over the next few weeks maybe.
57
58 Cheers and thanks!
59 - Mark
60 --