From: thelma@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] network transfer speed
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2021 20:27:39
1 On 1/16/21 11:55 AM, Michael wrote:
2 > On Friday, 15 January 2021 22:43:36 GMT thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
3 >
4 >> The fact that I'm logged via ssh over VPN to a remote network should not
5 >> have any influence over network speed.
6 >
7 > It may influence speed if you're trying to push a large file through the
8 > tunnel. TCP over TCP tends to choke due to retransmissions:
9 >
10 > http://sites.inka.de/bigred/devel/tcp-tcp.html
11 >
12 > Is the VPN you mention using a TCP or UDP tunnel?
13
14 The VPN is using UDP tunnel.
17 >> I just made a loop:
18 >> Network A ==> Internet ==> Network B
19 >> ssh back to Network A over internet and run "rsync" I got same speed (as if
20 >> I run the command locally) on Network A 112MB/s
21 >>
22 >> So the limiting factor is somewhere else.
23 >
24 > I'm sorry, but I fail to understand with any clarity what runs where and how
25 > when you test things locally, Vs remotely. I mean:
26
27 What I did is log-in to a remote network over ssh, from remote network I logged back to my network PC using ssh and tested the transfer speed.
28
29 > - Network topology;
30 > - Network Protocols;
31 > - Applications & application protocols;
32 > - Relevant services on each peer;
33 > - Actions on each peer;
34 > - Results per action.
35 >
36 > As already mentioned iperf or netcat/telnet results will confirm if this is
37 > purely a network issue, ISPs performing deep packet inspection/throttling
38 > affecting throughput asymmetrically, etc.
39 >
40 > SSDs are typically faster than spinning disks, but not always as fast as
41 > ramdisks/tmpfs, especially if write amplification takes place, TRIM kicks in,
42 > etc.
43 >
44 > Stacking network + application protocols can also have an adverse effect.
45 > Applications like rsync which compare file names, sizes, hashes and what not,
46 > do not offer a reliable speed comparison.
47 >
48 > Methodically testing each component of the transmission system should get you
49 > an answer at the end.
50
51 On a remote network there are 5-pcs
52 - two of them are Windows PC
53 - 3-pcs are Gentoo
54
55 I was just testing Getnoo PC's
56 One small PC is about 20-30meters away from the switch and connected by CAT5 (or CAT5e)
57 that PC is network card is capable of 1000-speed according to "ethtool" but negotiated the speed of 100 according to:
58 /sys/class/net/enp4s0/speed
59
60 The 2-PCs closer to the switch, negotiated the speed of 1000 according to:
61 /sys/class/net/enpxxxx/speed
62
63 I have to check (this week) if they are both connected directly to a switch and or firewall Ausus RT-AC66U and the light on the switch.
64 I'll check out/investigate the use of "net-misc/iperf" to check the speed.