From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Blacklist firewire?
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 19:04:33
1 On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 12:13 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 10:01 AM, Paul Hartman
3 > <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 7:33 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> I'm trying to blacklist firewire-ohci and firewire-core but I'm doing
6 >>> something wrong.
7 >>>
8 >>> I added then to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist, ran update-modules and then
9 >>> rebooted but they continue to load. What am I doing wrong?
10 >>
11 >> (Keep in mind that is based on me running ~amd64 and whatever versions
12 >> of openrc/baselayound/module-init-tools that entails.)
13 >>
14 >> Rename it to blacklist.conf and other files in that directory that
15 >> don't end in .conf should also be renamed. If you have
16 >> /etc/modprobe.conf it can be deleted (but be sure the contents of that
17 >> file are handled by the files in /etc/modprobe.d/). I don't think
18 >> running update-modules is even necessary anymore.
21 > My bad in writing the original post. It's already named blacklist.conf
22 >
23 > keeper ~ # ls /etc/modprobe.d/
24 > aliases.conf alsa.conf blacklist.conf i386.conf nvidia.conf
25 > pnp-aliases.conf
26 > keeper ~ #
29 > and the firewire stuff is in the blacklist.conf file:
30 >
31 > keeper ~ # cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf | grep firewire
32 > blacklist firewire-ochi
33 > blacklist firewire-core
34 > keeper ~ #
37 > I don't have a modprobe.conf file:
38 >
39 > keeper ~ # ls -al /etc/modprobe.conf
40 > ls: cannot access /etc/modprobe.conf: No such file or directory
41 > keeper ~ #
42 >
43 > and the modules continue to be loaded:
44 >
45 > keeper ~ # lsmod | grep firewire
46 > firewire_ohci 20022 0
47 > firewire_core 36109 1 firewire_ohci
48 > keeper ~ #
49 >
50 > This is a new machine built with a March Gentoo install image so
51 > hopefully it's all basically correct from the outset but the modules
52 > are still getting loaded.
53
54 Hmm, looks like you have everything set up right (or at least set up
55 the same as me!:)
56
57 The only other thing I can think of is perhaps you need to use an
58 underscore in the blacklist line, rather than a dash.