From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Blacklist firewire?
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 18:05:53
1 On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 10:01 AM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 7:33 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> I'm trying to blacklist firewire-ohci and firewire-core but I'm doing
5 >> something wrong.
6 >>
7 >> I added then to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist, ran update-modules and then
8 >> rebooted but they continue to load. What am I doing wrong?
9 >
10 > (Keep in mind that is based on me running ~amd64 and whatever versions
11 > of openrc/baselayound/module-init-tools that entails.)
12 >
13 > Rename it to blacklist.conf and other files in that directory that
14 > don't end in .conf should also be renamed. If you have
15 > /etc/modprobe.conf it can be deleted (but be sure the contents of that
16 > file are handled by the files in /etc/modprobe.d/). I don't think
17 > running update-modules is even necessary anymore.
20 My bad in writing the original post. It's already named blacklist.conf
21
22 keeper ~ # ls /etc/modprobe.d/
23 aliases.conf alsa.conf blacklist.conf i386.conf nvidia.conf
24 pnp-aliases.conf
25 keeper ~ #
28 and the firewire stuff is in the blacklist.conf file:
29
30 keeper ~ # cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf | grep firewire
31 blacklist firewire-ochi
32 blacklist firewire-core
33 keeper ~ #
36 I don't have a modprobe.conf file:
37
38 keeper ~ # ls -al /etc/modprobe.conf
39 ls: cannot access /etc/modprobe.conf: No such file or directory
40 keeper ~ #
41
42 and the modules continue to be loaded:
43
44 keeper ~ # lsmod | grep firewire
45 firewire_ohci 20022 0
46 firewire_core 36109 1 firewire_ohci
47 keeper ~ #
48
49 This is a new machine built with a March Gentoo install image so
50 hopefully it's all basically correct from the outset but the modules
51 are still getting loaded.
52
53 Thanks!
54