From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Print server with hplip
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 17:50:54
1 > I've been using a print and scan server with an Epson printer/scanner
2 > for a long time. I'm trying to set up the same thing with an HP and
3 > I've got everything working except remote printing. Local printing,
4 > local scanning and remote scanning work, but not remote printing. I
5 > have the client's IP in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and the server's IP in
6 > /etc/cups/client.conf but the client won't pick up the server's HP for
7 > printing.
8 >
9 > Could there be any extra configuration required for remote printing
10 > when switching from gutenprint (I think) to hplip? I had to add saned
11 > to the lp group on the server before I could get remote scanning to
12 > work (not required with the Epson), and I'm wondering if there could
13 > be a similar detail I'm overlooking with remote printing.
14 >
15 > - Grant
16
17 I guess hplip uses something called "JetDirect" for network printing.
18 hplip in general seems to want to do things its own way. I don't
19 think I'll bother with it. I'm going to get rid of this HP and get an
20 Epson anyway since scan quality is sub-par.
21
22 - Grant