From: Alex <sohalt@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] content of /usr/portage/distfile
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 16:27:31
1 Allan Gottlieb wrote:
2 > At Thu, 25 May 2006 10:40:26 +0000 Alex <sohalt@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>Allan Gottlieb wrote:
6 >>
7 >>>You have to do experiments. It depends heavily on your application
8 >>>mix.
9 >>
10 >>Yes, that would be the best, but I'm wondering how, because e.g. "time
11 >>bzip2 -9 foobar" wouldn't be helpfull. So now I've switched to "-Os"
12 >>and soon I can test, if it's a real difference.
15 > Please report back your findings, including the application mix you
16 > tested. Although "scientific" timed benchmarks are important, I would
17 > also be interested in how the system feels. For the latter ("feels"),
18 > you should qualitatively describe the use of the system (web server,
19 > desktop, laptop, etc) and what you commonly run (program devel, games,
20 > scientific/engineering apps, etc).
21 >
22 > thanks,
23 > allan
24
25 Hi,
26
27 I've a desktop system and I commonly use applications like firefox,
28 thunderbird and so on, kde, gaim and a terminal is nearly always there.
29 Sometimes I'm running vim or kate.
30
31 If you're interested in some tests, not relevant for desktop systems,
32 there are some I made:
33
34 Time wasted to compress a 416 mb tar:
35 bzip2 gzip
36 -O3 2m40.882s 1m20.445s
37 -Os 2m39.314s 1m21.157s
38
39 decompress:
40 bzip2 gzip
41 -O3 0m52.575s 0m4.972s
42 -Os 0m53.387s 0m4.828s
43
44 Convert 203 Mbs MP3s to WAV using LAME:
45 -O3 14m4.461s
46 -Os 16m50.599s
47
48 from wav to mp3:
49 -O3 1m1.708s
50 -Os 1m12.841s
51
52 Now I'm emerging -e world with -Os. When it is finished, I'll mail you
53 the results.
54
55 Alex
56 --