From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] content of /usr/portage/distfile
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 18:23:16
1 At Thu, 25 May 2006 18:21:39 +0000 Alex <sohalt@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Allan Gottlieb wrote:
4 >> At Thu, 25 May 2006 10:40:26 +0000 Alex <sohalt@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>Allan Gottlieb wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>>You have to do experiments. It depends heavily on your application
9 >>>>mix.
10 >>>
11 >>>Yes, that would be the best, but I'm wondering how, because e.g. "time
12 >>>bzip2 -9 foobar" wouldn't be helpfull. So now I've switched to "-Os"
13 >>>and soon I can test, if it's a real difference.
14 >> Please report back your findings, including the application mix you
15 >> tested. Although "scientific" timed benchmarks are important, I would
16 >> also be interested in how the system feels. For the latter ("feels"),
17 >> you should qualitatively describe the use of the system (web server,
18 >> desktop, laptop, etc) and what you commonly run (program devel, games,
19 >> scientific/engineering apps, etc).
20 >> thanks,
21 >> allan
22 >
23 > Hi,
24 >
25 > I've a desktop system and I commonly use applications like firefox,
26 > thunderbird and so on, kde, gaim and a terminal is nearly always
27 > there. Sometimes I'm running vim or kate.
28 >
29 > If you're interested in some tests, not relevant for desktop systems,
30 > there are some I made:
31 >
32 > Time wasted to compress a 416 mb tar:
33 > bzip2 gzip
34 > -O3 2m40.882s 1m20.445s
35 > -Os 2m39.314s 1m21.157s
36 >
37 > decompress:
38 > bzip2 gzip
39 > -O3 0m52.575s 0m4.972s
40 > -Os 0m53.387s 0m4.828s
41 >
42 > Convert 203 Mbs MP3s to WAV using LAME:
43 > -O3 14m4.461s
44 > -Os 16m50.599s
45 >
46 > from wav to mp3:
47 > -O3 1m1.708s
48 > -Os 1m12.841s
49 >
50 > Now I'm emerging -e world with -Os. When it is finished, I'll mail you
51 > the results.
52
53 The conversion programs you ran might not stress the memory system. I
54 suspect that they only keep a fixed size portion of the input and
55 output files in memory when you run them with ever larger inputs.
56
57 allan
58 --
59 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list