From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Booting minimal installer ISO on rx4640 and rx2660 fails
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2017 10:23:39
1 Hi Frank,
2
3 On Thursday 17 Aug 2017 11:36:41 Frank Scheiner wrote:
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > I'm trying to boot my Itanium gear with the current minimal installer
7 > ISO [1] on CDROM but so far had no success at all. I also tested the
8 > oldest of the minimal installer ISOs [2] still available, also without
9 > success. For both my rx4640 and rx2660 I get the following output when
10 > trying to boot from the internal DVD (its access LED lights up shortly):
11 >
12 > ```
14 > Load of Internal Bootable DVD failed: Not Found
15 > Press any key to continue
16 > ```
17
18 This to me seems like faulty or incompatible media. Did you check the hash of
19 the burned DVD to see if it was not corrupted during download/burn?
20
21 NOTE: You'll need the size of the ISO image which you can read from your hard
22 disk and then feed to md5sum; e.g.
23
24 dd if=/dev/cdrom bs=2048 count=xxxxxxxx | md5sum
27 > I've burned these ISOs with Brasero 3.10.0 on Ubuntu 14.04 and I can
28 > access the contents of the CDROMs there too. I could even extract the
29 > included kernel and initrd (and include the squashfs image) - following
30 > and slightly adapting the howto on [3] for Itanium - and boot them, but
31 > sadly couldn't get to the point where I could start the installation
32 > process. I either did something wrong during the extraction and creation
33 > process of initrd and initrd plus squashfs image, or the howto does not
34 > work as intended for Itanium machines.
35 >
36 > The machines seem to work correctly using a Debian Wheezy based NFS root
37 > and were also able to boot the Debian 7.11 installer ISO on DVD for
38 > Itanium without an issue though, hence I don't think this is a problem
39 > of the machines or their DVD drives.
40
41 Yes, this proves there's nothing wrong with the drives.
44 > Does anybody have an idea, what could be wrong? And can somebody confirm
45 > that these ISOs - when burned to CDROMs - work on rx4640 or rx2660 or
46 > similar machines?
47 >
48 > Cheers,
49 > Frank
50
51 Sorry, I don't have access to such gear, but my money is on a corrupt DVD, or
52 incompatible DVD type (e.g. DVD+/-R)
53 --
54 Regards,
55 Mick