From: Francesco Talamona <ti.liame@×××××.it>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Why ity has to be so frustrating !!!
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 18:16:07
1 On Monday 26 June 2006 11:58, James Buckley wrote:
2 > He probably want's to use fakeraid because he wants to have a
3 > dual-boot Windows-Linux, both using raid. I also have had the same
4 > problem with 2.6.16+ dmraid, and the only solution I found was to use
5 > kernel 2.6.15-r9 (just < 2.6.16). Only 2.6.15 gives me other
6 > problems...
7
8 That's not correct.
9
10 I have a 4 disks software raid (1 and 5 + LVM) setup. The motherboard
11 has an integrated Promise controller that "thinks" the two disks
12 attached are a single logical RAID0 disk.
13
14 If I ever had a windoze on those disks it would run as if it was on a
15 single striped disc, according to controller BIOS.
16
17 While I was building this computer I also tested the software array
18 phisically removing one of the striped discs, despite the dreadful
19 error messages (the computer refuses to boot without an human
20 intervention) at boot Linux booted flawlessly, just marking the array
21 as corrupted.
22
23 As I said before, to help OP we need more details about his setup.
24
25 Side note: I use LILO. MB: Asus A8V-deluxe, no GRUB nor Nvidia here, so
26 YMMV!.
27
28 Ciao
29 Francesco
32 Linux Version 2.6.17-gentoo, Compiled #2 PREEMPT Tue Jun 20 20:17:15
34 One 1GHz AMD Athlon 64 Processor, 2GB RAM, 2004.91 Bogomips Total
35 aemaeth
36 --
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list