From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] (masked by: missing keyword)
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 13:24:07
1 sean schreef:
2 > What is the proper way to over ride a package that is (masked by:
3 > missing keyword)? From what I read it is supposed to be done with the
4 > package.keywords file in /etc/portage. But I must be doing something
5 > wrong with format.
6 >
7 > Specifically I am trying to install openoffice 2.0 on my amd64
8 > system. I have unmasked it, but the keyword is still blocking me.
9 >
10 > Thanks Sean
11
12 'Missing keyword' is a very specific state, different from masking,
13 keyword ~arch, or other kinds of blocks;
14
15 >From packages.gentoo.org
16
17 openoffice
19 Releases alpha amd64 arm hppa ia64 mips ppc ppc64 ppc macos s390 sparc x86
20 2.0.0 - - - - - - ~ - -
21 - - ~
22
23 You see that "-" under the alpha, amd64, arm, hppa and all other
24 architectures than ppc and x86?
25
26 Those "-" are missing keywords. This package is only rated (as unstable)
27 for ppc and x86 architectures. On all other arches, the build is so
28 unstable, or so untested, that it is not keyworded at all.
29
30 Which is why the legend on p.g.o says
31
32 "- not available"
33
34 Now, if you really really want to test such a build in the name of
35 science, you can of course do so, but you will have to jump through a
36 hoop or two because you really are not meant to be using this package
37 unless you mean to help troubleshoot:
38
39 First thing to do is to add to /etc/portage/package.keywords:
40
41 app-office/openoffice -*
42
43 This will unmask the build with the missing keyword.
44
45 Try running the emerge again, but there's a fair likelihood that you
46 will hit a further mask, like package.mask.
47
48 If so, you should again consider if you *really* want to unmerge this
49 package; if it's masked up the wazoo, are you sure that you have the
50 time and energy to deal with the problems it apparently has, and help
51 solve them? If not, find an alternative (like openoffice-bin, which is
52 marked as unstable for amd64).
53
54 If so, then add the package to /etc/portage/package.unmask
55
56 =app-office/openoffice-2.0.0
57
58 and see how far you get.
59
60 Be warned, it's quite possible that the package will not compile, or
61 will have problems compiling-- openoffice is quite hard to compile under
62 the best of circumstances, and these are not them. There have been a lot
63 of changes, both in the program itself (hence the 2.0 version) and in
64 the supporting infrastructure (gtk libraries, freedesktop.org specs, X
65 itself not to mention the deeper backend libraries), and how these
66 things are going to interact on a 'sensitive' system architecture is
67 anybody's guess.
68
69 But of course, somebody has to take the plunge and report back for the
70 issue to progress any further, so if you want to do that, good luck.
71
72 If you don't want to do that, but rather just use the program, unmask
73 and install the bin package.
74
75 HTH,
76 Holly