From: sean <rsh.lists@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] (masked by: missing keyword)
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 16:22:16
1 Holly Bostick wrote:
2 > sean schreef:
3 >
4 >>What is the proper way to over ride a package that is (masked by:
5 >>missing keyword)? From what I read it is supposed to be done with the
6 >> package.keywords file in /etc/portage. But I must be doing something
7 >> wrong with format.
8 >>
9 >>Specifically I am trying to install openoffice 2.0 on my amd64
10 >>system. I have unmasked it, but the keyword is still blocking me.
11 >>
12 >>Thanks Sean
15 > 'Missing keyword' is a very specific state, different from masking,
16 > keyword ~arch, or other kinds of blocks;
17 >
18 >>From packages.gentoo.org
19 >
20 > openoffice
22 > Releases alpha amd64 arm hppa ia64 mips ppc ppc64 ppc macos s390 sparc x86
23 > 2.0.0 - - - - - - ~ - -
24 > - - ~
25 >
26 > You see that "-" under the alpha, amd64, arm, hppa and all other
27 > architectures than ppc and x86?
28 >
29 > Those "-" are missing keywords. This package is only rated (as unstable)
30 > for ppc and x86 architectures. On all other arches, the build is so
31 > unstable, or so untested, that it is not keyworded at all.
32 >
33 > Which is why the legend on p.g.o says
34 >
35 > "- not available"
36 >
37 > Now, if you really really want to test such a build in the name of
38 > science, you can of course do so, but you will have to jump through a
39 > hoop or two because you really are not meant to be using this package
40 > unless you mean to help troubleshoot:
41 >
42 > First thing to do is to add to /etc/portage/package.keywords:
43 >
44 > app-office/openoffice -*
45 >
46 > This will unmask the build with the missing keyword.
47 >
48 > Try running the emerge again, but there's a fair likelihood that you
49 > will hit a further mask, like package.mask.
50 >
51 > If so, you should again consider if you *really* want to unmerge this
52 > package; if it's masked up the wazoo, are you sure that you have the
53 > time and energy to deal with the problems it apparently has, and help
54 > solve them? If not, find an alternative (like openoffice-bin, which is
55 > marked as unstable for amd64).
56 >
57 > If so, then add the package to /etc/portage/package.unmask
58 >
59 > =app-office/openoffice-2.0.0
60 >
61 > and see how far you get.
62 >
63 > Be warned, it's quite possible that the package will not compile, or
64 > will have problems compiling-- openoffice is quite hard to compile under
65 > the best of circumstances, and these are not them. There have been a lot
66 > of changes, both in the program itself (hence the 2.0 version) and in
67 > the supporting infrastructure (gtk libraries, freedesktop.org specs, X
68 > itself not to mention the deeper backend libraries), and how these
69 > things are going to interact on a 'sensitive' system architecture is
70 > anybody's guess.
71 >
72 > But of course, somebody has to take the plunge and report back for the
73 > issue to progress any further, so if you want to do that, good luck.
74 >
75 > If you don't want to do that, but rather just use the program, unmask
76 > and install the bin package.
77 >
78 > HTH,
79 > Holly
80
81 Hi Holly,
82
83 I can get it unmasked, I just can't clear the keyword.
84
85 This is what is currently in my keyword file.
86
87 app-office/openoffice -*
88 app-office/openoffice ~amd64
89