From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Mediatomb media server - users & permissions for /media/videoX
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 06:27:23
1 Hi Willie,
2
3 Many thanks for your informative reply.
6 On 30 Sep 2008, at 15:18, Willie Wong wrote:
7
8 > On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 03:05:58AM +0100, Penguin Lover Stroller
9 > squawked:
10 >> I'm a little unclear as to how these permissions have been applied -
11 >> shouldn't it be based either on the permissions of the mount-point
12 >> directory, or added as an "-o users,umask=000" in /etc/fstab ?
13 >
14 > umask only applies to file systems with no intrinsic permission
15 > settings, e.g. VFAT. The permissions for file systems with permission
16 > bits are set in the file system itself ... chmod/chown/chgrp applied
17 > to the mount point after
18 > mounting will change the permissions of the actual file system.
19
20 Of course! It would not have occurred to me to ask this question were
21 I mounting a drive at a normal place in the Unix directory tree (by
22 which I mean /bin, /boot, /etc, /home, /lib, /sbin, /usr, /var and
23 directories below them).
24
25 >> However I'm posting to solicit suggestions on the best permissions
26 >> practices for this purpose. mediatomb shouldn't need write access
27 >> to these
28 >> files or folders at all - there's no option on the UPnP client, for
29 >> instance, to delete files from the server. Should I make the drives
30 >> owned
31 >> by "users" and in the "mediatomb" group, with read-only access for
32 >> the
33 >> latter? Any other suggestions?
34 >>
35 > What's so secret in your media folders that you can't just give read
36 > access to mediatomb? Why don't you have it like you have now with
37 > regards tot he owner and group and just give read permission to other?
38 >
39 > owner root
40 > group users
41 > umask 002 (i.e. you will have rwxrwxr-x or rw-rw-r-- ?)
42
43 Of course! That's perfect. And I can easily keep customer data and
44 other stuff on the drive at umask 007.
45
46 > To do any fancier (say, files owned by root, read-write access for all
47 > users and read access only for mediatomb and no access for everyone
48 > else) you will probably need a real ACL with which I can offer no
49 > suggestions.
50
51 No, that's not necessary at all. I must've been having a brain-fart
52 even to have asked.
53
54 Stroller.