From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Mediatomb media server - users & permissions for /media/videoX
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 14:15:37
1 On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 03:05:58AM +0100, Penguin Lover Stroller squawked:
2 > I'm a little unclear as to how these permissions have been applied -
3 > shouldn't it be based either on the permissions of the mount-point
4 > directory, or added as an "-o users,umask=000" in /etc/fstab ?
5
6 umask only applies to file systems with no intrinsic permission
7 settings, e.g. VFAT. The permissions for file systems with permission
8 bits are set in the file system itself. Which is why before and after
9 mounting the mount point may have different permission listings.
10
11 In otherwords, chmod/chown/chgrp applied to the mount point with
12 nothing mounted will change the mount point's listing when nothing is
13 mounted, and chmod/chown/chgrp applied to the mount point after
14 mounting will change the permissions of the actual file system.
17 > However I'm posting to solicit suggestions on the best permissions
18 > practices for this purpose. mediatomb shouldn't need write access to these
19 > files or folders at all - there's no option on the UPnP client, for
20 > instance, to delete files from the server. Should I make the drives owned
21 > by "users" and in the "mediatomb" group, with read-only access for the
22 > latter? Any other suggestions?
23 >
24 What's so secret in your media folders that you can't just give read
25 access to mediatomb? Why don't you have it like you have now with
26 regards tot he owner and group and just give read permission to other?
27
28 owner root
29 group users
30 umask 002 (i.e. you will have rwxrwxr-x or rw-rw-r-- ?)
31
32 To do any fancier (say, files owned by root, read-write access for all
33 users and read access only for mediatomb and no access for everyone
34 else) you will probably need a real ACL with which I can offer no
35 suggestions.
36
37 W
38 --
39 When coal was first discovered, there was a large black market.
40 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 662 days, 12:48