From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new machine : start-up time
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 20:59:04
1 Am Samstag, 13. Oktober 2012, 15:40:43 schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
2 > On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 3:24 PM, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
3 > > Regulars will remember the threads re the machine I built recently.
4 > > I thought they mb interested in the start-up time now all is working :
5 > > Gigabyte BIOS 10 s , Linux Lilo prompt - login prompt 8 s ,
6 > > 'startx' - GUI ready 4 s : total 22 s + entering userid+password ;
7 > > I start the I/net connection (Dhcpcd) manually from the GUI ( 15 s ).
8 > > I assume most of the speed is attributable to the SSD,
9 > > perhaps a bit to the 1600 MHz memory; of course, Gentoo shares the honors;
10 > > my desktop manager is Fluxbox & I start apps on desktops manually.
11 >
12 > Toshiba Portégé Z830, with an iCore 5 at 1.60GHz, 6 GB of memory, and
13 > a tiny 128 GB SSD. It takes 12 seconds from GRUB to GDM, and from the
14 > time I enter my password and my GNOME 3 desktop is ready it takes
15 > another 6 seconds, so 18 seconds in total (plus how much it takes for
16 > me to click in my user and enter my password).
17 >
18 > Like you, I attribute most of the speed gain to the SSD. The rest is
19 > systemd.
20 >
21 > Regards.
22
23 from hitting SPACE to desktop: less than 4s.
24
25 Suspend-to-ram. Who cares about boot times?
26 (for the record: from grub to kdm login ca 10sec. Without systemd).
29 #163933