From: Al <oss.elmar@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Shared libraries in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 23:52:05
1 >> > So it really does come down to portage after all. Portage has a hard
2 >> > dependency on bash. portage is intimately wrapped up in the linux way of
3 >> > doing things.
4 >>
5 >> Right, we have to say Bash. To be exact Bash is GNU not Linux. I
6 >> genarally say Linux not Gnu-Linux. However in this case the difference
7 >> matters.
8 >>
9 >> http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/
10 >
11 > I fail to see how this is relevant. Portage requires bash, not sh.
12
13 Did I say sh? It matters that portage depends on bash not on linux.
14 Bash is available on Win and Mac.
15
16 > So you don't work at a Tier 1 ISP then?
17
18 Definitly not. I rather work at the other end, the desktop. Never seen
19 anything bigger then a PC.
20
21 > I never said porting portage could not be done, I said it would be hard work.
22
23 It is challenging, but not to difficult so far.
24
25 > I don't see the point of portage on FreeBSD frankly, considering the general
26 > use-case where FreeBSD shines. ports is more than adequate for that and I
27 > don't need the maintenance overhead of portage on machines requiring weekly
28 > updates. I don't build embedded systems or need highly customized OSes.
31 I wouldn't port it to BSD either. If I want to reach many people I
32 still have to start with windows.
33
34 > In fact, portage is complete overkill and I refuse to allow it to be deployed
35 > at work. Check my posting history for the rationale behind this.
36
37 What is gentoo if you substract portage? I am courious now.
38
39 Al