From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Shared libraries in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 22:51:56
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 20:15 on Tuesday 07 September 2010, Al did
2 opine thusly:
3
4 > > So it really does come down to portage after all. Portage has a hard
5 > > dependency on bash. portage is intimately wrapped up in the linux way of
6 > > doing things.
7 >
8 > Right, we have to say Bash. To be exact Bash is GNU not Linux. I
9 > genarally say Linux not Gnu-Linux. However in this case the difference
10 > matters.
11 >
12 > http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/
13
14 I fail to see how this is relevant. Portage requires bash, not sh.
15
16 It is utterly irrelevant what the licensing and political implications are for
17 bash, the technical fact is that portage *requires* Chet's app.
18
19 To be fair to portage, it's not portage itself that requires it, it's the
20 ebuilds. But ebuilds are the dedicated input format to portage and the two are
21 inextricably linked.
22
23 > I run portage more or less sucessfully on Cygwins POSIX layer. Other
24 > people run it on Interix or Solaris.
25 >
26 > > As evidence: the only non-linux port that went anywhere was on FreeBSD,
27 > > now moribund for years.
28 >
29 > True. But FreeBSD isn't that popular like Windows, Mac or Linux.
30
31 So you don't work at a Tier 1 ISP then?
32
33 FreeBSD rules that space. I get hugely better performance out of Postfix on
34 FreeBSD than on Linux - all other ISPs in this country concur.
35
36 > I think there is a future for second level managers that can be
37 > installed into multiple OS and yet set up the very same POSIX
38 > invironement. Having that you can build complex software that is
39 > portable. You don't depend on Java. You don't need to run a virtual
40 > server.
41 >
42 > Currently there are two canditates. One candidate is Cygwin Ports, the
43 > other one is Gentoo Prefix. Cygwin Ports just added cross-compilation
44 > features into the latest edition. Still Cygwin is limited to Windows.
45 > By this Cygwin Ports has done the first steps to become portable to
46 > Linux and Mac in future and it is already very mature on Windows.
47 >
48 > Gentoo Prefix is already able to run on Windows-Interix, Linux and Mac
49 > as second level manager, but it isn't that mature. Still it is not
50 > discovered by a bigger community. The potential is already there.
51
52 The benefits of a source-based distro are many and have been covered
53 extensively elsewhere. gentoo.org lists most of them in a accurate fashion.
54
55 I never said porting portage could not be done, I said it would be hard work.
59 > So you finally can't say FreeBSD was the only port of Portage. But
60 > there is none that went to a major public.
61
62 I don't see the point of portage on FreeBSD frankly, considering the general
63 use-case where FreeBSD shines. ports is more than adequate for that and I
64 don't need the maintenance overhead of portage on machines requiring weekly
65 updates. I don't build embedded systems or need highly customized OSes.
66
67 In fact, portage is complete overkill and I refuse to allow it to be deployed
68 at work. Check my posting history for the rationale behind this.
72 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com