From: Al <oss.elmar@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Shared libraries in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 16:08:53
2 > In fact, portage is complete overkill and I refuse to allow it to be deployed
3 > at work. Check my posting history for the rationale behind this.
6 It is another 2 wrappers to facilitate matters, where there is already
7 is a huge stack of wrappers:
8
9 * gcc covers the linker
10 * libtool covers gcc and ar
11 * makefile configures it all
12 * to unburden from makefile writing, it is generated by configure
13 * configure is needed to be generated from configure.in
14 * some other generations here that I skip
15 * now there comes ebuild as the next wrapper to make building easier
16 * on top of all there is emerge
17 * really on top? What is the next level?
18
19 How many languages are involved only to generate and install a C
20 program! Maschine code, C, bash, m4, python, ... what else? How much
21 knowlege is needed to debug this huge stack!
22
23 I daily wonder all this still works so well.
24
25 Al