From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Shared libraries in Gentoo
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 01:09:15
1 * Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > > True. But FreeBSD isn't that popular like Windows, Mac or Linux.
4 >
5 > So you don't work at a Tier 1 ISP then?
6 >
7 > FreeBSD rules that space. I get hugely better performance out of Postfix on
8 > FreeBSD than on Linux - all other ISPs in this country concur.
9
10 Well, not everybody is a tier-1 isp ... ;-o
11
12 BTW: one of my customers, a really big one here in Germany
13 (who also has several of the major free mail portals) runs
14 its mail systems on GNU/Linux (well, inhouse mailing is done
15 via Exchange+ADS, surprisingly it actually works ;-)).
16
17 But I'd really like to know what produces the performance hits
18 on Posfix @ Linux.
19
20 > In fact, portage is complete overkill and I refuse to allow it
21 > to be deployed at work. Check my posting history for the
22 > rationale behind this.
23
24 Well, portage could be much thinner if certain things would be
25 moved explicitly out-of-scope or solved more generic on a
26 different layer. (yes, I'm explicitly ignoring the historical
27 issues right now ;-p).
28
29 For example:
30
31 * distro-specific and various source retrieval methods would not
32 be necessary, if the packaging/distro-build system would simply
33 fetch it's sources from an vcs (eg. git ;-p) using canonical
34 versioning/namespace scheme [1].
35
36 * instead of useflags (the terminology implies we're switching
37 things some package *uses*, not provides), model the available
38 features, eg. like Briegel [2] does. (that's more a methological
39 that a technical issue).
40
41 * instead of slotting, assign separate package names when multiple
42 version concurrency is required (and maybe pull them together
43 via virtuals)
44
45 * rely on an pure DAG as dependency graph - per definition.
46 when circular dependencies occour, fix them in the source tree,
47 for example splitting off certain packages in several smaller ones.
50 [1] http://www.metux.de/download/oss-qm/normalized_repository.pdf
51 [2] https://sourceforge.net/p/briegel/
54 Don't get me wrong, that shall not be understood as ranting against
55 Gentoo, just showing suitable approaches we'd start afresh on a
56 "green grassland" (w/o all the historical burdens).
59 cu
60 --
62 Enrico Weigelt, metux IT service -- http://www.metux.de/
63
64 phone: +49 36207 519931 email: weigelt@×××××.de
65 mobile: +49 151 27565287 icq: 210169427 skype: nekrad666
67 Embedded-Linux / Portierung / Opensource-QM / Verteilte Systeme