From: Giampiero Gabbiani <giampiero@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tablet
Date: Sat, 28 May 2016 08:00:43
1 In data sabato 28 maggio 2016 14:03:16, Bill Kenworthy ha scritto:
2 > I was just about to spring for a mid range MS surface pro 4 tablet when
3 > I saw a few posts about hardware problems ... MS hardware is usually
4 > solid (in contrast to their software! :)
5 >
6 > Are there any other similar tablets out there that are gentoo/Linux
7 > friendly that are worth looking at?
8 I have a surface pro and one surface pro 3, each of them purchased as soon
9 as they appeared in Italy and all of them with Gentoo running since the very
10 beginning.
11
12 Skipping the patches I had to apply initially for having all the HW working,
13 currently in the pro 3 the running gentoo has a kernel 4.0.4 on which I retro
14 applied the MS button module from a successive kernel release for the volume
15 and power buttons to work and a patch for having both the cams working too.
16
17 If you need I can send them both.
18
19 I'm very satisfied with it (I have also the MS docking station) I use it for
20 office and as DAW (with jackd)
21
22 Regards
23 Giampiero
24 > I have been using an old Samsung android tablet and google has just
25 > crossed the line and creeped me out past what I can tolerate so its time
26 > to move on :(
27 >
28 > BillK