From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tablet
Date: Sat, 28 May 2016 10:43:09
1 On 28/05/16 16:00, Giampiero Gabbiani wrote:
2 > In data sabato 28 maggio 2016 14:03:16, Bill Kenworthy ha scritto:
3 >> I was just about to spring for a mid range MS surface pro 4 tablet when
4 >> I saw a few posts about hardware problems ... MS hardware is usually
5 >> solid (in contrast to their software! :)
6 >>
7 >> Are there any other similar tablets out there that are gentoo/Linux
8 >> friendly that are worth looking at?
9 > I have a surface pro and one surface pro 3, each of them purchased as soon
10 > as they appeared in Italy and all of them with Gentoo running since the very
11 > beginning.
12 >
13 > Skipping the patches I had to apply initially for having all the HW working,
14 > currently in the pro 3 the running gentoo has a kernel 4.0.4 on which I retro
15 > applied the MS button module from a successive kernel release for the volume
16 > and power buttons to work and a patch for having both the cams working too.
17 >
18 > If you need I can send them both.
19 >
20 > I'm very satisfied with it (I have also the MS docking station) I use it for
21 > office and as DAW (with jackd)
22 >
23 > Regards
24 > Giampiero
25 >> I have been using an old Samsung android tablet and google has just
26 >> crossed the line and creeped me out past what I can tolerate so its time
27 >> to move on :(
28 >>
29 >> BillK
34 I went to a couple of stores and decided that if I keep dithering I'll
35 never do it - so I now have a surface pro 4 :)
36
37 Waiting for it charge/complete the windows updates before I force it
38 into a corner to make room for gentoo. Thankyou for the offer of the
39 patches - I'll contact you when I get that far.
40
41 I'll be going with kernel 4.4.11 (to match everything else I have here)
42
43 BillK